Saturday, March 8, 2008

Studio Vs. Natural Light


ISO 200 f8 SS 1/125


ISO 3200 f2.8 SS 1/160

I had the good fortune of visiting a friend at his garage studio today - and he let me snap a few photos before my attention was taken by keeping the children out of trouble. He set up everything, the backdrop, the lights, etc. Then I just snapped the camera. The kids weren't into it and only allowed me a handful, which I wasn't happy with. When I got home, disappointed and sure that I was not meant to be a photographer, the kids actually ASKED to get their pics taken. And I remembered why I love photography so much. I'm a natural light gal, for sure :)

7 comments:

Anonymous March 9, 2008 at 11:02 AM  

I'm with ya, I'm definitely more into the natural light too =) Both pics looks great though!

Sarah March 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

Love her hair wavy like that!

I need a lighting tutorial. In the 2nd photo, I see the light coming in behind her. Is there another window in front of her to get those great catch lights? What am I missing? How come I can't consistently do that?

Robyn March 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Mindi,

I think both portraits are nice... but you have to do what you love and if natural light is it...I'd say stick with it for now! I really don't have much of a choice for learning studio. It's too cold to be outside from Nov. to April here! I'm not good enough yet to just walk into someone's house and be able to assess the light... so I learned studio light. It took a LONG time though! I almost gave up many times! Pretty soon it clicks though and you know what to look for. If you **really** want to get it, you will! Otherwise, stick with what's fun for you! My kids much prefer posing in natural light as well!

mindi March 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM  

Thanks for the comments! Sarah, there is a window in front of her as well - I had to have a VERY HIGH ISO to get enough light for her face, though she was backlit, it was dark in front of her. Thankfully these weren't hazy.
Robyn, I understand what you mean, you can do studio lighting, and I can see that you've put a LOT of work into it. I think I'll stick with natural light for now, and probably for always :)

Sarah March 10, 2008 at 9:55 AM  

Thanks Mindi. I guess the next time we move, I will have to look for a house that has a spot where I can stick my kids with a window in front of them and behind. There is no such set up here!

Sarah March 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

What I was trying to say is that the lighting in my house is terrible. Very small windows that are up high and property with a lot of trees = very dark rooms.

I know I don't need one in front and behind, but I do love that backlit look.

Jodi March 11, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

wow, what a difference between the two! Love the natural light.

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP